Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Jefferson Pass



This trail is too short, so I rarely hike it.  I'm not even sure what the point of this trail is.  Maybe it was to go over the pass and then that part was abandoned?  I've dropped down to the little lake on the other side and it was hellish.  A member of the local trail crew told me they tried to keep the way to the lake open but could not.

I went up with the idea of maybe doing the trail twice, so I could get in a reasonable work out.  Instead I decided to walk the ridge to the right.

On the way to the little camp spot on top I ran in to two men who were searching for the route up Mount Washington.  While I was at the campsite I made the mistake of checking my cell phone and found a bunch of minor drama had taken place at home and at school and my husband wanted me to sort it out.  I sorted it out and continued on my hike while checking my phone.  I wish I had not pulled my phone out in the first place.

I did not remember to pack my gps, so I'm not sure how far I went.  I left lots of orange ribbons so I would not get lost.  Even when staying up on a ridge, it is easy to get turned around.   Ridges go up and down and twist and turn and sometimes split up and go different directions.

I walked the ridge until it seemed to start going really steeply down and I was not sure if going down would keep me on the ridge or not.   I did not get frightened trying to find my way back thanks to all my ribbon.  I took the ribbons down on the way out.

Pokemon go has a new feature that syncs to your phones GPS(r) and gives you walking credit even when you have no data.  Now I can add all my hiking miles.  Today I added 8 Kilometers, but I think my  actually hike was a bit shorter than that.

The weather was pretty good, the sun was out most of the day.  There was enough rain to produce a rainbow though.  I got a bit cold at the top when I was on my phone.












No comments: