Tuesday, August 11, 2009

GPS Tracklog for Mildred Lakes




Download this free program called GPS TRackMaker and use it to transfer the track log to your GPS. This works for my garmin GPS. I don't know if this will work with other brands.

This file will go into your active log. Make sure your active log is clear. After you have transferred this file to your GPS save your active log and rename it Mildred Lakes or something like that.

This is the log I made on my hike down and it sticks pretty darn close to the trail. That said; don't make this the only tool you rely on. This track log is not free from errors. By downloading this track log you agree that I am not liable for any problems you may have as a result of using this track log.

You can pay me for this track log by following LEAVE NO TRACE ethics.

Dispose of Waste Properly
Pack it in, pack it out.

Inspect your campsite and rest areas for trash or spilled foods. Pack out all trash, leftover food, and litter.

Deposit solid human waste in catholes dug 6 to 8 inches deep at least 200 feet from water, camp, and trails. Cover and disguise the cathole when finished.

Pack out toilet paper and hygiene products.

To wash yourself or your dishes, carry water 200 feet away from streams or lakes and use small amounts of biodegradable soap. Scatter strained dishwater.

1 comment:

infoslave said...

Wow, great blog, thank you so much! I stumbled here searching for descriptions of the Mildred lakes, as I was considering a trip this weekend. I have two daughters who look to be about the same ages as yours, and thought about lower Mildred as their first overnight backpacking trip. Perhaps a bad idea based on your description?

I'm new to Washington, and looking for that impossible combination of accessibility, low usage, and easy terrain. It's very important to me that the kids have a great experience the first time out. Can you share the location of the the trip you took with your kids? Would you still recommend it after its apparent discovery by the church group?

Thanks!
Mike