Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mount Jupiter



Today was the only day this week I could hike and I was hoping that the weather guessers were wrong, but they were right. It rained and the only view, was the one at the trail head in the morning.

I did not sleep at all the night before the hike, thanks to a large Mocha that I drank at 3:00pm the day before. I'll try not to make that mistake again.

This was a good work out and I'd like to hike it again when it is a clear day. I hiked alone and it was kinda eerie since a guy died on this trail just last week. (He was with a group for all the good it did him.) The thick fog made the forest seem a bit surreal on the way down.

I saw a bunny, lots of bannana slugs, a snail and loads of bear scat.

I spent about 20 minutes on the summit, just long enough to brew a cup of tea. With no view and the wind blowing there was no reason to linger.

4.5 hours up, 2.5 hours down, including the time I spent geocaching on the way up.

That last half mile before the summit was one of the longest half miles I've ever hiked.

I made a mistake and went up the wrong logging road at the start, but then I saw the trail down below me so I headed for it cross country. That added some up and down to my hike.

By the time I got back down to the trail head at the end of my hikd the fog was so thick that I used my GPS(r) track log to find my Jeep. (The way down was slightly different then the way up thanks me my starting on the wrong road.

My mileage was 13.2 and my total elevation gain was 4,400 feet. This trail has some ups and downs. It rates a 27 on The Hike Difficulty Calculator

I feel pretty good today. I am tired but I'm not terribly sore. I hope that I lost some weight on this hike. I only had a few handfulls of trail mix while hiking. It's 12:30 now and I've not eaten yet today because I'm too tired to cook anything.

The first 1/2 mile of the trail was logged by Pope and Talbot last summer.  Pope and Talbot left a huge mess behind.  Pope and Talbot should have cleaned up the trail when they were done savaging the forest.    The trail now starts in a cat track filled with logging debris.   






Track Log of the Drive up



Track log of the hike




Elevation profile



Morning View at the trailhead



Afternoon view at the trailhead




Benchmark at the summit

No comments: